Vacancy No. ITAS 11-19
ITAS 11-19 Master Thesis: Identification and quantification of cultural ecosystem services of urban trees and forests in Karlsruhe and surrounding communities
Within the project "GrüneLunge: Inter- and transdisciplinary development of strategies to increase the resilience of trees in growing cities and urban regions", a methodology will be developed to evaluate the exchange of ecosystem services of urban trees and forests between the city of Karlsruhe and surrounding communities. The idea of this compensation concept: Municipalities such as Rheinstetten can provide ecosystem services to the city, and in return receive cultural services or financial compensation for the expansion or maintenance of green spaces.
Ecosystem services are divided into four categories according to the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA, 2005): 1) Provisioning, 2) Regulatory, 3) Supportive and 4) Cultural. Urban ecosystem services and ecosystem services are being conducted in accordance with the requirements of the Economics and Ecosystem of Biodiversity (TEEB) Initiative (Ring et al., 2010) and the valueES Guidelines (ValueES, 2017).
The focus of the master thesis is on the identification and quantification of cultural ecosystem services of urban trees and forests in Karlsruhe and surrounding communities by applying qualitative methods. The results flow into the compensation concept.
More information about the project can be found here: https://www.itas.kit.edu/projekte_saha18_grulu.php and here: https://www.quartierzukunft.de/forschung/gruenelunge/.
If necessary, the activity can be combined with a Hiwi activity. The master thesis should be carried out full-time at ITAS.
Your task includes within the scope of the mentioned topic description:
- Literature research on the status quo of ecosystem services of green spaces and trees
- Identification and quantification of cultural ecosystem services of urban trees and forests in Karlsruhe and Rheinstetten by:
- Literature review
- If necessary, online surveys
- Surveys on site
- If necessary, further methods
Please send a letter of motivation (max. 2 pages) in addition to your CV and evidence of previous credentials. Only online application will be accepted as valid application.
- Student of Forestry, Geoecology, Environmental Sciences or similar disciplines
- Desirable: a basic understanding of qualitative methods
- Experience in using MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and literature programs (e.g. Citavi)
- Fluency in spoken and written German is compulsory, good language skills in English are desirable (level C2 with TestDaf or DSH certificate of German language for speakers of German as a foreign language)
- Reliable, responsible and result-oriented way of working
Institute for Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis (ITAS)
1st February 2020
Temporary, 6 months
M. Sc. Annika Fricke (Phone 0721 / 608-24707, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. rer. nat. Somidh Saha (E-Mail: email@example.com)
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number ITAS 11-19.
Personnel support is provided by
phone: +49 721 608-25184,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.