Vacancy No. 86/2019
with completed PhD
The aim of your work is the investigation of the solubility behavior of actinides and inactive metal ions in saline aqueous solutions in presence of relevant organic complexing agents. You will conduct experimental studies on the solubility, solid phase stability and aqueous speciation of actinides and inactive analogs, including spectroscopic analysis of aqueous and solid radionuclide phases. Based on your experimental results, you will estimate radionuclide source terms in the frame of a German third party funded project.
Relevant aspect of your work include:
- Conducting experimental solubility studies with alpha emitters and inactive metal ions in highly concentrated electrolyte solutions in the presence of relevant organic complexing agents. Lab work will be performed in alpha-tight glove boxes in the controlled area of KIT-INE.
- Investigation of the speciation of actinides and inactive metal ions by UV-Vis, EXAFS, XRD, DTA, SEM-EDS, Raman etc..
- Estimation of radionuclide source terms for repository relevant geochemical conditions.
- Evaluation of thermodynamic data (Pitzer).
- Publication of your results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed scientific Journals.
You hold a university degree (Diplom, Master) and a doctorate in chemistry, radiochemistry or geochemistry. In addition you have several years of work experience in the field of aquatic chemistry of actinides and metal ions in saline solutions, redox behavior and complexation reactions. Several years of experiences in handling open radioactive sources (alpha emitters) as well as good knowledge of analytical chemistry and comprehensive knowledge of the aquatic chemistry and thermodynamics of actinides and metal ions are mandatory. Adequate English language skills (spoken, written) as well as experience in the analysis of saline systems and the ability to perform lab work independently are desirable. High working motivation and the ability to work in teams complete your profile.
Salary category 13, depending on the fulfillment of professional and personal requirements.
Institute for Nuclear Waste Disposal (INE)
limited up to 3 years
Application up to
March 29, 2019
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Fellhauer, phone 0721 608-29329.
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number 86/2019 .
Personnel Support is provided by
phone: +49 721 608-25029,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
We prefer to balance the number of employees (m/f/d). Therefore we kindly ask female applicants to apply for this job.
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.