Vacancy No. IMVT 01-19
IMVT 01-19: Bachelor or Master Thesis: Fabrication and characterisation of hydrophobic coatings for metallic membranes for the gas/liquid phase separation in a micro structured device
The condensation reaction of polysaccharides is a reversible reaction that can be conducted with a high yield and selectivity in micro reactors at high temperatures. By removing water from the reaction mixture, the equilibrium of the reaction can be shifted towards higher condensation grades of polysaccharides.
Within a technology transfer project in cooperation with an international industry partner, the development of a novel membrane technology for the continuous removal of water during the reaction is pursued. This may allow performing the reaction in one step, reduce further equipment and increase the energy efficiency of the process
The water should be separated in gaseous state through the pores. Due to the required high temperature conditions, porous metallic membranes are considered. The main challenge here is on the one hand the high surface energy of metallic membranes (hydrophilic behaviour) and on the other hand the surface tension of the reaction fluid and its temperature and pressure dependence. These facts lead to the wetting of the pores even for low pressure differences between feed and permeate side of the membrane. By means of specific hydrophobic coatings, the liquid penetration can be prevented. The aim of this work is to produce and characterize hydrophobic coatings for metallic membranes.
The individual tasks include:
- Determination and evaluation of suitable coating materials based on a literature study.
- Production of coatings by means of the Plasma Enhanced –Chemical Vapour Deposition PE-CVD process.
- Characterisation of the coatings: analysis of the coating at the inner surface of the pores by SEM, determination of the contact angle, determination of coating thickness, etc.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic and open mind candidate to join our research group, who has knowledge in the field of material sciences and interest in working experimentally.
- Good English and/or German language skills
- Students of Chemical Engineering/ Process engineering / Chemistry/Material Science
Institute for Micro Process Engineering (IMVT)
as soon as possible
Contract duration 3 months for Bachelor Thesis, 6 months for Master Thesis
Starting date as soon as possible
Contact person Sara Claramunt, IMVT
Tel. 0721/608-2405 E-Mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number IMVT 01-19.
Personnel support is provided by
phone: +49 721 608-25184,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.