Vacancy No. ITAS 09-19
ITAS 09-19 Master thesis: Development of an MCDA based screening method for emergent battery materials (MatScreen)
There is a wide consensus that energy storage technologies are an im-portant element to enable continued stability to future decarbonized Eu-ropean energy networks. Within the POLiS (Post Lithium Storage) Cluster of Excellence, scientists from Karlsruhe and Ulm are researching future batteries, which should be powerful, reliable, sustainable and environ-mentally friendly. The overall objective of the Cluster is to build a funda-mental understanding of a new generation of electrochemical energy storage systems and develop a platform for future stationary and mobile applications. Within POLiS (http://www.hiu-batteries.de/exzellenzstrategie-hiu-erhaelt-foerderung/), a screening method of different electrode mate-rials for new types of battery will be developed, taking into account sus-tainability aspects. The screening on the basis of selected criteria should make it possible to obtain initial indications on the sustainability of dif-ferent electrode materials from the perspective of technology develop-ers. A multi-criteria decision analysis method will be developed together with technology developers (e.g. AHP in combination with Fuzzy Logic, ELECTRE, etc.). The planned master thesis within POLiS is a cooperation with HIU (http://www.hiu-batteries.de/batterieforschungszentrum-in-deutschland/forschung/systeme/ressourcen-umwelt-nachhaltigkeit/) and ITAS.
The task includes the following aspects:
- Development of a modular MCDA-tool (modular with regard to criteria adaptation), e.g. AHP + X
- First collection and design of a set of criteria for testing the tool, if necessary already in close coordination with a small group of technology developers for the material screening
- Preliminary study: Test weightings and feedback experts –
- Documentation and critical reflection
- Study field: industrial engineering, computer science, mathematics or similar disciplines
- Experience in the field of Operation Research in the field of MADM is very advantageous
- Basic technical understanding of energy storage technologies, materials and the topic of sustainability
- Good knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel
Institute for Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis (ITAS)
Application up to
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Manuel Baumann, phone: +49 721 608-23215 or Dr.-Ing. Marcel Weil, phone +49 721 608-26718 (e-mail: email@example.com).
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number ITAS 09-19.
Personnel support is provided by
phone: +49 721 608-25184,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.