Vacancy No. 11-2021/IAM-AWP
PhD Students (f/m/d)
Development of filament materials for fused filament fabrication (FFF) 3D printing of all solid-state sodium ion batteries (ASSSIB)
Cooperation organizational unit
- Institute for Applied Materials – Materials Science and Engineering (IAM-WK
The Cluster of Excellence POLiS (DFG EXC_2154) develops the necessary new battery materials and technology concepts for efficient and sustainable storage of electrical energy.
This position is to be filled within the Cluster of Excellence POLiS and the overall goal of the related project is to develop a 3D printing process as manufacturing technology for post-lithium all-solid-state sodium ion batteries (ASSSIBs) and to evaluate, optimize these processes in battery performance. Exploring various techniques to improve battery-manufacturing processes is of great interest for the research community as well as for the industry, and 3D printing fused filament fabrication (FFF) is a very promising approach in the battery production process to introduce additive manufacturing technology.
The goal of the thesis is to gain understanding in printing material development and thermally post processing, to increase the thickness of the electrode layers without worsening the cell performance in production of sodium ion batteries followed by thermal characterization and safety analysis. This includes the complete process chain of preparing and characterizing of the printing materials, up to the electrochemical investigation of the electrochemical cells and the feasibility for upscaling. The know-how of material production as well as of 3D printing is already available in both institutes.
We offer you the opportunity to complete the promotion within three years. During this time, you will work in an interdisciplinary working group at IAM-AWP and IAM-WK. You will have access to the excellent research infrastructure and experimental facilities at KIT. The work will be conducted also in cooperation with the research group of Physical chemistry of solids – solid-state ionics and electrochemistry at Justus-Liebig university of Giessen. You will also be a member of the graduate school electrochemical energy storage (GS-EES).
- University degree (Diploma / Master) in materials science, process engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry or similar qualifications (with excellent score)
- Knowledge in the field of lithium ion / sodium ion battery (LIB/SIB) or 3D printing by FDM/FFF are required.
- Practical experience in Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) and of thermal characterization methods are desired.
- Practical skills and technical understanding of process steps.
- Proficiency in English language (C1) and German language (min. B2 level) is obligatory.
- Excellent ability to cooperate with internal and external project partners.
In parallel please apply for admission to the GS-EES via the GS-EES online application form
Institute for Applied Materials - Applied Materials Physics (IAM-AWP)
limited to 3 years
Application up to
Contact person in line-management
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number 11-2021/IAM-AWP.
Personnel support is provided by
phone: +40 721 608-25002,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.